Friday, October 31, 2008

a vision statement for attracting your ideal job

In previous posts, I have shared tips on how to create vision statements for health and for attracting your ideal partner. (You’ll find a post on the basics of writing a vision statement here.) In today’s post, I would like to provide you with suggestions for creating a vision statement for your ideal job. Whether you are looking to attract a new job into your life or improve your current work situation, creating a vision statement is the first step in steering you in the right direction! Once you have written your vision statement, read over it often, be open to signs showing up in your life, and pay attention to synchronicities (see glossary of terms in the sidebar). You just may be amazed at how perfectly and effortlessly things begin to fall into place and unfold for you!


Are you happy at your current job? Do you enjoy the work that you do? Better yet, do you feel passionate about your work? When you wake up in the morning, are you excited about the possibilities the new day may bring? Or do you dread going through the same old routine, facing a grumpy boss, listening to your co-worker’s gossip, and sitting at your desk in a cubicle all day long?

If you are unhappy with your current work situation and are open to change, I would like to invite you to ponder the following questions.

What are you passionate about in life? What gets you going? What does your ideal work situation look like? What does your ideal schedule look like? What kinds of people would you be surrounded by on a daily basis in your ideal work environment?

Are you a people-person, or someone who prefers working on their own and avoid dealing with other people? Does your job fit your personality?

I once met a woman whose sister worked as a mortician, and she told me it was the absolute dream job for her. She didn’t like listening to people and dealing with other people’s problems. She loved the leisurely pace and quietude of her work.

Personally, I always knew I wanted to be in a line of work that revolved around interacting with people. That’s why I considered going into psychology (before I discovered Chinese Medicine), and it is also why I so enjoyed waiting tables during my first few years of college. I thrive on the exchanges with people I come in contact with on a daily basis! However, everybody is different, and my point is that there is an ideal job out there for every single one of us!

Do you enjoy work that stimulates you intellectually, or do you prefer doing manual labor? Do you like a combination of the two? Are you someone who thrives in an environment that requires astute intuition, rather than relying heavily on the left side of your brain? Do you like to use your creative abilities?

Do you enjoy helping others? Are you a problem-solver? A practical thinker?

Do you work well in teams? Are you good at mediating and/or communicating? Do you enjoy making an argument for your case? Do you like to get to the bottom of things?

Have you always dreamed of being in business for yourself, or do you prefer to work for someone else? It isn’t everyone’s cup of tea to run their own business, and you might be perfectly happy working for someone else and receiving a steady paycheck at the end of each month. On the other hand, if you like taking responsibility and don’t shy away from a challenge, you might consider going into business for yourself.

The above questions should provide you with plenty of food for thought. There are many more questions you could ask yourself, and I am sure you will have come up with quite a few of your own by the time you have read to this point.


If you are already in a field you are passionate about and would like to attract a ‘better,’ more fulfilling or meaningful job – or a job, for that matter (this might be your first job out of college or after going back to school to learn a different trade), you have a head start! You can skip a bunch of the above questions and narrow down your focus to where and with whom you will be working on a daily basis, as well as who will be signing your paycheck at the end of each month. If you are considering changing careers or you are in high school or your first few years of college, this is a great time to do this exercise! If you have finished your studies, you may have a degree in hands and have no idea what to do with it and where to apply for work. Again, creating a vision statement and including all the elements that are important to you in your everyday work life is a great place to start!


Below are some suggestions of positive statements you might include in your vision. As with the other visions in previous posts, feel free to pick and choose any statements that are applicable to you, leave out any that don’t have value for you, and add plenty of your own!

Vision statement for attracting my ideal job

  • I wake up every morning excited to go to work!

  • I love my job and the people I am surrounded by at work on a daily basis.

  • I am passionate about the work I do and derive great fulfillment from it.

  • My work adds a sense of meaning and purpose to my life.

  • I am following my calling.

  • I am truly inspired by my work.

  • In my daily work environment, I am surrounded by people who are respectful, positive, and kind.

  • I am able to utilize my talents and abilities in my work.

  • People I work with respect me and recognize the value in what I contribute.

  • I am on great terms and get along beautifully with my boss/employees/co-workers/clients.

  • My employees respect me and are happy to work for and with me and give their best on a daily basis. In return, I reward them for their good work and dedication and show them my appreciation often.

  • My boss is generous and fun to work for and with. She/he recognizes the effort and dedication I put into my work and shows me how much she/he values and appreciates all that I do.

  • Everyone I come in contact with through my work is friendly and helpful, receptive to what I have to offer, and ready to help me with anything I may need from them.

  • My office is in walking/biking distance from my house/less than a 10-15 minute driving distance from my house/[insert your own].

  • I work in a comfortable setting with plenty of natural light and space.

  • The work I do provides a meaningful contribution to the world/my community.

  • My schedule is flexible and allows me to sleep in in the morning/leave early in the afternoon/have nights/weekends free/take time out for personal appointments/[name your own].

  • My job gives me the opportunity to travel/spend time abroad/discover other cultures and places.

  • Or: My job allows me to remain close to home at all times, so that I may be with and care for my family.

  • My job allows me to work from home X number of days per week/whenever I need to care for my child/sick or elderly family member.

  • My work provides me with continuous stimulation, and I thrive on the challenges I am presented with on a daily basis!

  • Or: I enjoy the calm and predictability of my work. I love knowing what to expect on any given day.

  • My employer offers me a great health care plan/stock options/retirement planning/company car/maternity or paternity leave/[fill in the blank with whatever is important to you].

  • My employer gives me X weeks paid vacation time per year.

  • I make plenty of money to support my ideal lifestyle. There is always more than enough to pay the bills and cover all expenses, and there is always surplus to indulge in the luxuries and little pleasures life has to offer (such as travel, dining out, entertainment, arts, etc.).

  • I trust the universe to guide me to the ideal position for me at the right time and in the right place.

  • I am now ready to let go of any old patterns that have kept me stuck in a less than fulfilling work environment. I am now open to working in a position that utilizes my talents and creative abilities. I invite my ideal job situation to now appear in my life.

...and so on. You get the picture! I’ll let you take it from here and put your own creativity to work. The possibilities are endless!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angie, this is a wonderful compilation of affirmations and I read them at just the right time as I am going to be changing jobs by June 2009. Thank you for your thoughtful, wise words and sincerity. You are an angel for offering your insights and knowledge to others. Bless you.

Angie O'Sullivan, L.Ac. said...

Thank you for your kind words, Tracey. I'm glad this is helpful for you!